Valentine’s Day is here, and it is a day to shower your significant other with love and affection. We do this through anything from grand romantic gestures to cards, candy, and flowers. Millions of dollars are spent on this day alone throughout the United States. Well, this year we challenge you to show an equal amount of love to your spine with these suggestions:
- Sit with Proper Posture. Sitting is usually a thoughtless task, but poor posture puts an immense amount of strain on the lower back. Be aware of how you are sitting, and try to sit with your shoulders back and spine straight. Ensure that your body weight is evenly distributed on both hips and that your knees are at a right angle with your feet flat on the floor. This minimizes the strain on your lower back muscles.
- Sleep with Proper Posture. Proper posture isn't limited to sitting and standing! When you are asleep, the body uses this time to recuperate and recharge itself from the busy day you had. Sleeping with proper posture will maximize you body's ability to charge itself back up. Try to avoid sleeping on your stomach, as this can cause strain to your neck and spine. Support pillows for your lower back and neck wile help promote proper posture.
- Increase your Core Strength. A strong core can help removes some stress from your back. The Mayo Clinic offers a great list of exercises you can start doing to strengthen your core muscles.
- Weight Control. A few extra pounds may not seem like much, but they can lead to a whole lot of distress on your spine. By managing your weight, you can help your spine support your body with less strain.
- Stretch. Starting off the day with a few minutes of stretching will have you off to a great start! It's also important to stretch before exercising, which is good for warming up your muscles to prevent sports-related injuries. Stretching your back is also helpful in soothing and managing back pain.
Don't forget to how your back some love by scheduling an appointment with us. We'd be happy to provide you with more tips on how to love your back, just give us a call!
We found this blog here: http://www.healthylifechiropractic.com/blog/love-your-spine
We loved it so much we thought we'd share it with you. Please don't hesitate to check them out!